The Samsung Galaxy S5 has landed. We took a spin around the networks to find out where you can find the best deal on this pricey handset.
The Samsung Galaxy S5 is shaping up to be a fantastic phone – although we won’t know where it stands against the iPhone and other competitors until it’s gone through our test labs.
But if we don’t yet have the full picture on performance, we know everything we need to know about price: it’s expensive. Pick up a sim-free Samsung Galaxy S5 and you’ll have to stump up £549.95. That’s the same price as 14 nights in Orlando, with flights and a trip to Disney thrown in.
Samsung Galaxy S5 – read our first look review
If you can afford the upfront cost, then buying the phone outright is likely to prove cheaper in the long run than getting the phone on a contract. But if you don’t have half a grand in your back pocket, and can’t live without the Galaxy S5, then you’ll want to shop around for the best contract deal. Below we’ve picked out some of the standout deals.
Where to get the best deal on the Samsung Galaxy S5
Samsung Galaxy S5 cheapest deal with the phone for free
- O2: Unlimited texts, unlimited minutes and 5GB of data for £48 a month
- Three: No deals with a free phone
- Virgin: No deals with a free phone
- EE: No deals with a free phone
- Tesco: 1500 minutes, 5000 texts and 1GB of data for £34.50 a month
- Vodafone: Unlimited texts, unlimited minutes and 1GB of data for £37 a month
- TalkTalk: 100 minutes, 250 texts and 100MB of data for £30 a month
Samsung Galaxy S5 cheapest deal with pre-paid handset
- O2: Unlimited texts, 500 minutes and 500MB of data for £33 a month + £149.99 phone
- Three: 600 free minutes and unlimited data for £38 a month + £29 phone
- Virgin: 250 free texts, 100 free minutes and 250MB of data for £39 a month + £99 phone
- EE: Unlimited texts and minutes and 4GB of data for £32.99 a month + £259 phone
- Tesco: No plans with upfront payment for phone
- Vodafone Unlimited texts, 300 minutes and 250MB data for £34 a month + £169 phone
- TalkTalk: No plans with upfront payment for phone
The prices listed are for the 16GB Samsung Galaxy S5.
Which? expert verdict – ‘Which deal should I choose?’
Some of the deals you can strike off your shopping list straight away. TalkTalk’s £30 deal might look attractive but you’ll skip through 100MB of data before you’ve finished streaming the latest Katy Perry album or watched half an episode of Eastenders. The Samsung Galaxy S5 is a high end phone that’s made for multimedia and small data packages are wasted on this handset.
With that in mind my pick of the deals above is the offer from Three. It’s only £29 for the phone but you get 600 free minutes and, more importantly, unlimited data. This will let you use streaming services, like BBC iPlayer and Spotify, to listen to music and watch TV on the go without having to worry about a data limit.
Rory Boland – deputy technology editor