No-one wants to have to charge their mobile phone more than once a day. And losing power just when you need to make a call, or look up an important bit of information, is extremely frustrating. Last time we checked the Samsung Galaxy S3 had the best battery life, but has the new iPhone 5 beaten it?
How Which? tests smartphone battery life
Which? tests how long every phone lasts when making calls and browsing the web. We even broadcast our own 3G signal to ensure the strength is consistent and realistic. Signal strength can have a serious impact on phone battery life, but using our own 3G mast means every phone is tested the exact same way.
Best smartphone battery life – which smartphone wins?
- Despite having one of the largest screens, the Galaxy S3 manages to browse the web the longest – recording almost 6 hours of surfing before running out of juice. Read our Samsung Galaxy S3 review to find out how it did in our other tests.
- The Xperia S also did very well, although it was still short of the Galaxy S3 by over an hour.
- Over three and a half hours browsing isn’t a bad result for the One X and it comfortably beats Apple’s smartphones.
- The iPhone 4S actually outperforms the latest version, managing to rack up 8 minutes more browsing time than the iPhone 5. Discover how the rest of its features did in our labs in the full iPhone 4S review.
- The new iPhone 5 managed just three hours and twenty minutes of browsing, and while this is better than the majority of phones we have tested it is a lot lower than its rivals and even the previous version of the iPhone. Read our full Apple iPhone 5 review to see how its other features did in our tests.
- A very disappointing result for the Lumia 900, recording just three hours of browsing time putting it in the bottom half of the phones we tested.
- It may be now starting to get a bit old but the Sensation XL did particularly badly in our tests, managing just over two hours of browsing before running dry.
If you’re having problems with your phone’s battery life, try our top 5 ways to improve mobile phone battery life to see if you can do better.